Brochot, Brunini, Eisma, Larsen, and Lewis. (2015). "Study of Personal Data Stores." European Commission, DG Connect.
- B.A. in Science, Technology, and Society Studies (STS), University of Pennsylvania, 2012
- M.A. in Technology Policy, Judge Business School, University of Cambridge, 2015
- Ph.D in Sociology, University of Cambridge,(approved 3/2021; conferred 9/2022)
- 2023 - 2024: Fellow, Berkman Klein Center (BKC), Harvard University
- 2023 - 2024: Visiting Fellow, Internet Society Project (ISP), Yale University Law School
- 2022 - 2023: Postdoctoral Associate and Lecturer, Comparative Media Studies, MIT
- 2021 - 2023: Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Journalism and Media Studies, Oslo Metropolitan University
- 2015 - 2018, 2020: Founding researcher (The Whistle, human rights reporting platform)
- 2020: Contract Consultant and Researcher (The Global Disinformation Index
- 2015 - 2016: Research Assistant (Faculty of Law, University of Cambridge)
- 2012 - 2014: Legal Assistant (Skarzynski Black, civil litigation law firm)
- 2009 - 2012: Content Assistant (WXPN, National Public Radio affiliate)
- Mixed methods research
- Qualitative: interviewing, ethnography, content analysis
- Quantitative: data scraping, digital media collection and analysis
- Project management
- Effective collaboration on diverse teams
- Presenting - lectures, seminars, conferences
- Drafting/writing - academic and public-facing materials
Larsen, Rebekah. (2015). "The Digital Information Verification Field." The Whistle. 1(2).
Mapping Right to be Forgotten frames: Reflexivity and empirical payoffs at the intersection of network discourse and mixed network methods
Larsen, Rebekah. (2020). "Mapping Right to be Forgotten frames: Reflexivity and empirical payoffs at the intersection of network discourse and mixed network methods" New Media and Society. 22(7).
Rebekah Larsen (2022) ‘Information Pressures’ and the Facebook Files: Navigating Questions around Leaked Platform Data, Digital Journalism, DOI: 10.1080/21670811.2022.2087099.
Westlund, Oscar, Larsen, R., L. Graves, L. Kavtaradze. (2022) “Technologies and fact-checking: a sociotechnical mapping and assessment”. Chapter in Disinformation Studies: Perspectives in an emerging research field. LabCom Books.
V Bélair-Gagnon, R Larsen, L Graves, O Westlund. (2023) "Knowledge Work in Platform Fact-Checking Partnerships". International Journal of Communication.
From Public Reason to Public Health: Professional Implications of the “Debunking Turn” in the Global Fact-Checking Field
L Graves, V Bélair-Gagnon, R Larsen. (2023) "From Public Reason to Public Health: Professional Implications of the “Debunking Turn” in the Global Fact-Checking Field". Digital Journalism.
Conference Presentation at Digital Intermediaries and Media Pluralism, University of Dubrovnik, Croatia
Conference Presentation at On Think Tanks Conference, London, United Kingdom
Conference Presentation at Data Justice Conference, Cardiff University, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
Conference Presentation at Media Manipulation Conference, University of Cambridge and ARU, Cambridge, United Kingdom
Conference Presentation at Understanding the Social in the Digital Age, University of Norwich, Norwich, United Kingdom
Conference Presentation at Department of Sociology, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
Conference Presentation at Future of Journalism Conference, Cardiff University, United Kingdom
Connecting the global fact-checking field and technological development: A technographic case study of the InVID/WeVerify plugin
Conference Presentation at ICA Pre-Conference: Global Fact-Checking Research, Center for Social Innovation, Toronto, CA
- Avid rock climber and runner. Awarded a Collier Grant from the MIT Outdoor Club (2019 - 2020) to further outdoor inclusivity. Significant experience with outdoor environments, particularly in New England, the UK and the American West (Utah).
- Digital methods training certificates from the University of Amsterdam’s Digital Methods Institute (2018) and Boston University Department of Emerging Media Studies (2017).
- Experience with collaborative media research tools: Atlas.ti, MediaCloud, Microsoft Office and Google Drive, markup languages (HTML and XML), OOP (java and python), Slack.
- Peer reviewer for highly ranked journals such as New Media and Society, Digital Journalism, the Journal of Human Rights Practice, Big Data and Society, and the International Journal of Politics, Culture and Society.